Kari

Achievements

• Administrators

Hey friends,

As some of you know I've recently decided to destroy my mind by completing the achievements and in doing so I've found a fair few that are kind of ridiculous and I'd like to suggest some changes to them.

I've written up the changes I'd like to see in the spoiler below. Please let me know what you think about these and if you'd change anything about them.

Spoiler

Artisan I
Crafting anything above 2000 runes is way too much without better ess pouches, I'd even say 2000 is on the verge of being too much.
I'd suggest the following:

Easy: Craft 500 of every rune listed instead of 1000
Medium: Craft 1000 of every rune listed instead of 2000
Hard: Craft 1500 - 2000 law, death and blood instead of 3000 and 5000 air runes instead of 10000 and 500 arma runes instead of 1000
Elite: Craft 5000 blood runes instead of 10000 and 2500 arma runes instead of 5000

Artisan III
Elite: Crafting 1500 dstone ammies is a bit much, 1000 would be better.

Artisan IV
Elite: Cook 5000 sharks should be 3000

Artisan V
Elite: Create 25 of each dfs is a bit much, 10 - 15 of each would be fair

Resources I
Hard: Mining 1000 adamant and rune should be 500 of each

Resources II
Hard has both catch 1000 shark and 2000 shark, should probably meet in the middle at only 1500 sharks
Elite: Catch 5000 sharks should be 3000

Resources III
Farming
Easy: Harvesting 400 potatoes, onions and cabbage should be 200 of each
Medium: Harvesting 1000 tomatoes and sweetcorn should be 500 of each
Hard: 1500 strawberries and watermelons should be 1000 each
Elite: 2500 watermelon should be 2000
Hunter
Easy: 50 of each impling instead of 100
Medium: 100 of each impling instead of 200
Hard: Catch 300 ninja and pirate implings should be 200
Elite: Catch 500 ninja and pirate implings should be 300

Support I
Elite:
Run 500 laps of barbarian and gnome advanced should be 250 instead
Run 150 laps of wildy course should be 100 instead
Earn 1000 tickets should be 600 instead

Support III
Stealing and pickpocketing is way too much, should scale better
Easy:
Steal from baker stall 100 times should be 50
Steal from gem stall 100 times should be 200
Steal from any stall 500 times should be 400
Medium:
Steal from baker stall 500 times should be 100
Steal from silk stall 500 times should be 200
Steal from gem stall 500 times should be 400
Pickpocket master farmer 500 times should be 300
Steal from any stall 2500 times should be 800
Hard:
Steal from baker stall 1500 times should be 200
Steal from silk stall 1500 times should be 400
Steal from gem stall 1500 times should be 800
Steal from any stall 5000 times should be 2000
Pickpocket hero and paladin should be 300 instead of 500
Elite:
Steal from gem stall 5000 times should be 2000
Steal from any stall 10000 times should be 5000
Pickpocket master farmer 1000 times should be 800
Pickpocket hero 1000 times should be 800

Minigames - Castle Wars
I have little experience with castle wars, but looking at the achievement requirements I'd say it would be almost impossible to complete
mostly due to the fact that you would never get players to play the minigame for that long. So I'd suggest scaling it down by a fair amount.

Also REWARDS WHEN??

• Like 1

Looking through the Achievements since I've come back I would say some of the achievements do need changing. I would say some of them which have not been brought up are fine as they are good training methods for anyone going for 200m and will end up getting them anyways.

The ones listed here to change I agree with. Like stealing from 10k stalls I can't see anyone doing as thieving at trader is just far superior. For example, look at Kari's thieving guide a regular account needs 7188 (6202 with Ibis) at Trader for 200m XP while at Gem Stall it's 25000 (22650 with Ibis) and sure its meant to be the most profitable but only giving 1.4B it's not an incentive and is more of a pointless grind getting 10k.

Fishing 5k Sharks down to 3k sharks sounds like a good option too. Look at slays guide to go from 76-99 it takes around 2127 to reach 99 but I would up rocktails to maybe 5k as this is something people will achieve along the way to 200m fishing.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 7:05 PM, Nicky said:

Looking through the Achievements since I've come back I would say some of the achievements do need changing. I would say some of them which have not been brought up are fine as they are good training methods for anyone going for 200m and will end up getting them anyways.

The ones listed here to change I agree with. Like stealing from 10k stalls I can't see anyone doing as thieving at trader is just far superior. For example, look at Kari's thieving guide a regular account needs 7188 (6202 with Ibis) at Trader for 200m XP while at Gem Stall it's 25000 (22650 with Ibis) and sure its meant to be the most profitable but only giving 1.4B it's not an incentive and is more of a pointless grind getting 10k.

Fishing 5k Sharks down to 3k sharks sounds like a good option too. Look at slays guide to go from 76-99 it takes around 2127 to reach 99 but I would up rocktails to maybe 5k as this is something people will achieve along the way to 200m fishing.

In essence I agree with what you're saying. However there's one thing that we all seem to be missing. Completionist cape T isn't supposed to be an easy feat if it was everyone would have it...

That being said I really believe that to distinguish the hardcore players we should just leave current achievements be. If im almost done them then anyone can! I work 50+ hours a week and only really get to play weekends if that. So there really shouldn't be any excuse

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 12:08 PM, Jake said:

In essence I agree with what you're saying. However there's one thing that we all seem to be missing. Completionist cape T isn't supposed to be an easy feat if it was everyone would have it...

That being said I really believe that to distinguish the hardcore players we should just leave current achievements be. If im almost done them then anyone can! I work 50+ hours a week and only really get to play weekends if that. So there really shouldn't be any excuse

Ok yeah, I will admit I may have overlooked that side of the argument. Thinking more along the lines of I really don't want to have to do achievements that I would have unlocked on my way to 5b but I do to do it again.

I remember trying to work out how Comp T req should have been and having plenty of arguments with people because what I asked for was "Too difficult" but saying it's meant to be a grind and only the most elite should have the right to earn it.

With this being said maybe making some of the achievements harder would actually be the right way to look at it. For example moving the 99 Requirements to Medium tasks, 25mil to Hard, and 200m being new to elite. Adding CoX Kills to Monster I being 1,25,50,100 and drops to Monster II. With the equipable drops being added to Elite Tasks of Combat I/IV respectfully. Clues also seem easy and are really easy to do with just stacking them up so maybe adding a higher clue count making Med 100, Hard 500, and elite either 750 or 1k

I do feel like some of the minigames should be reduced like castle wars but I feel like that's might not be an issue depending on how many people are really going for all achievements as the majority of the player base would rather do something else than waste their time at CWars making is impossible to get enough players. This could be solved if people who are wanting to do 300 Wins at CWars can bring alts and have them on the other team but that would get rid of any fun the minigame is meant to bring.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/28/2022 at 11:08 AM, Jake said:

Achievements won't be the only requirement for comp t though?

I agree that it should not be easy, but you have to admit a lot of these achievements are dumb. Just because you've managed to complete most of them doesn't mean they should remain as they are.

I agree with a lot of what Nicky said, making certain achievements harder and adding in content that has been released since the achievements went live is a good idea.

• Developer
On 9/28/2022 at 7:47 AM, Nicky said:

Ok yeah, I will admit I may have overlooked that side of the argument. Thinking more along the lines of I really don't want to have to do achievements that I would have unlocked on my way to 5b but I do to do it again.

I remember trying to work out how Comp T req should have been and having plenty of arguments with people because what I asked for was "Too difficult" but saying it's meant to be a grind and only the most elite should have the right to earn it.

With this being said maybe making some of the achievements harder would actually be the right way to look at it. For example moving the 99 Requirements to Medium tasks, 25mil to Hard, and 200m being new to elite. Adding CoX Kills to Monster I being 1,25,50,100 and drops to Monster II. With the equipable drops being added to Elite Tasks of Combat I/IV respectfully. Clues also seem easy and are really easy to do with just stacking them up so maybe adding a higher clue count making Med 100, Hard 500, and elite either 750 or 1k

I do feel like some of the minigames should be reduced like castle wars but I feel like that's might not be an issue depending on how many people are really going for all achievements as the majority of the player base would rather do something else than waste their time at CWars making is impossible to get enough players. This could be solved if people who are wanting to do 300 Wins at CWars can bring alts and have them on the other team but that would get rid of any fun the minigame is meant to bring.

Yeah I agree with all of this, and imo comp t should be "too difficult" for a lot of players, it's always been a stretch goal for those players who did most of the content and were looking for something really challenging. Now challenging should be fun and enjoyable as much as we can make it but at the end of the day we are still on runescape and a lot of things are repetitive.

I think a good approach here will be to clean up and balance our existing skilling challenges, add more pvm challenges around new content, we have raids and quite a few new slayer monsters around.

Minigames are something I've been working with the other staff on, Zombie Waves has been my first target where we have a mix of a pretty lackluster minigame ontop of some absolutely ridiculous achievements (Reach wave 250??? Took me like 3 hours to get over 50) so I want to actually re balance how these minigames work a bit and then see about toning down/updating their related achievements after. Like Zombie Waves could be balanced out to have around 100 wave runs and scale the difficulty a lot quicker. Castle wars could have shorter games and more tickets per game. Unrelated to this thread slightly but I have been tinkering with a global minigame currency/shop see Thaler on rs3 that could fill in some gaps.

Also with all the comp talk, we need to rebalance regular comp requirements and take peoples capes away if they don't meet new requirements. Should certainly fold in a certain achievement completion % for comp, even something like 40% for comp and 100% for comp t. Im planning to bump or start a new comp t thread when the time is right though, I know there is a lot of balancing and reworks to be done to existing content before we could feasibly ask anyone to complete everything to get it.

• Like 3

On 9/28/2022 at 9:58 PM, Kari said:

Achievements won't be the only requirement for comp t though?

I agree that it should not be easy, but you have to admit a lot of these achievements are dumb. Just because you've managed to complete most of them doesn't mean they should remain as they are.

I agree with a lot of what Nicky said, making certain achievements harder and adding in content that has been released since the achievements went live is a good idea.

I understand hence "in essence I agree". I never said we shouldn't add achievements, and I also understand that they won't be the only requirement for Comp T. That being said I really do believe myself that the cape should be made harder, however this may be. More quests? More boss kc? Newer area achievements?

Only time will tell I guess.