Take NPC hosting out and put player hosting in?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ely implement a player based gambling/middlemanning system?

• Yes, let's watch the server grow!
    • No, keep NPC betting
    • Keep NPC betting, with the option of the betting on a player

Hey guys, so I wanted to put this out there and gather everyone's thoughts and opinions. Gambling; it can either make or break a server. From my experiences, the servers that allowed players to host (instead of NPC"s) seem to thrive a bit more, and have a more active community. My suggestion/idea is simple; allow players to host games of chance themselves. Of course I'm all for a "trusted member" system. People that have earned their rank and trust through verification by the community, and then the staff. I would also like to have a "trusted middleman" rank added into the game as well. I'm basing this system off of a very popular RSPS we all knew as "SoulSplit". I'd love to hear everyone's opinion, and maybe have this implemented into the game!

On 7/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, Aken said:

im not sure i would ever gamble, so im not sure if i should vote one way or another. Would there still be NPC betting? or only P2p

That's a solid question! I would leave NPC betting in the game. I'm actually gonna add that into the poll. Thanks for suggesting it!

On 7/15/2021 at 6:32 PM, The Ruben said:

That's a solid question! I would leave NPC betting in the game. I'm actually gonna add that into the poll. Thanks for suggesting it!

Fasho! look forward to seeing what others think about it!

• Developer

The server implementing player run gambling adds a lot of unnecessary risk since the server/staff are advertising it and are accountable for bad actors who take advantage. NPC betting is a safe bet and less BS for staff to deal with (unless there are bugs in the NPC). I think cons outweigh the pros here.

• Owner

From a management point of view - I would be opposed. We currently have a system in which we eliminated the need of 'middlemen', we eliminated the risk of being scammed, we eliminated countless number of issues with a server-hosted system. While I get your point, player-hosted betting is more or less just nostalgic - but it certainly isn't as cut & dry as you have assumed: player-hosted betting servers 'thrive a bit more & have a more active community' - that's a result of maannny factors, largest of which - is revision. Being a 718 we have the cards stacked against us - it's among the least popular revisions right alongside RS3. For arguments sake if we implemented player-hosted gambling, I would have to change my advertisements from "Scam-free server hosted gambling" to "Player-based, large chance of scam gambling" 😂 We always shoot to make the lives of players & staff easier, and I feel this would be a step backwards.

Do love the suggestion nonetheless & the time to post one, keep 'em coming - but this one is very unlikely 😬

• Like 1

• Administrators

In my opinion, we have a good system for gambling and I see no reason to change that.

With that being said, I used to gamble a lot and back in the day it was always done via players and it was great fun, but as Lation has already mentioned it would be more of a hassle than not.

If we were to implement player based gambling, the only way I see it not draining all of our (staff team) time is if we would make it a rule that gambling is at your own risk and the staff team will not help in any cases of scamming, which is not something I'd like.

• Like 1